Carnegie Institute, Museum of Art records, 1883-1962, bulk 1885-1940

Carnegie Institute. Museum of Art, est. 1902
Museum
Pittsburgh, Pa.

This site provides access to the records of the Carnegie Institute, Museum of Art in the Archives of American Art that were digitized in 2011. The Exhibitions and International Series (Series 3 and 4) and the correspondence of directors John W. Beatty (Boxes 15-18) and Homer Saint-Gaudens (Boxes 121-127) have been scanned in their entirety and total 148,816 images.

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Brown Foundation. Funding for the digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.


Collection size: 264.3 linear feet

Collection Summary: The records of the Carnegie Institute, Museum of Art measure 264.3 linear feet and date from 1883-1962, with the bulk of the material dating from 1885-1940. The collection includes extensive correspondence between the museum's founding director, John Beatty, and his successor, Homer Saint-Gaudens, with artists, dealers, galleries, collectors, museum directors, representatives abroad, shipping and insurance agents, and museum trustees. The collection also includes Department of Fine Arts interoffice memoranda and reports; loan exhibition files; Carnegie International planning, jury, shipping, and sale records; Department of Fine Arts letterpress copy books, and a copy of the original card catalog index to these records.

Biographical/Historical Note: The Carnegie Institute Museum of Art was established in 1895 by industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, in Pittsburgh, Pa.

The Carnegie Institute, Museum of Art records were loaned for microfilming in 1966 and later donated to the Archives of American Art in 1972.

Funding for the processing of this collection was provided by the Brown Foundation.
Funding for the digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.

How to Use this Collection

  • Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
  • The Exhibitions and International Series (Series 3 and 4) and the correspondence of directors John W. Beatty and Homer Saint-Gaudens were digitized in 2011 and are available via the Archives of American Art's website. Blank pages, blank versos of photographs, photographs of artwork, and duplicates have not been scanned. In most cases, only the cover, title page, and individual relevant pages have been scanned from published materials.
  • Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
  • For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.

Also in the Archives