Bryson, Bernarda, b. 1903 d. 2004
Active in Roosevelt, N.J.
Collection size: 11.9 linear feet
Collection Summary: The papers of painter, printmaker, and illustrator Bernarda Bryson Shahn measure 11.9 linear feet and date from 1872 to 2004, with the bulk of the materials dating from 1904-2004. Found within the papers are family and biographical materials, correspondence, writings including sound recordings of lectures by the Shahns, voluminous notebooks, five diaries, exhibition files, personal business records, printed material, seven scrapbooks, one sketchbook and other art work, and photographs. Although the bulk of the collection documents Bernarda's work, there are materials about or created by Ben Shahn scattered throughout the collection.
Biographical/Historical Note: Bernarda Bryson Shahn (1903-2004) was a painter and printmaker from Roosevelt, N.J. Bernarda was the wife of artist Ben Shahn.
The Bernarda Bryson Shahn papers were donated by the artist in 1983 and by her son Jonathan Shahn in 2005.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Bernarda Bryson Shahn, 1983 April 29
- Oral history interview with Bernarda Bryson Shahn, 1995 July 3