Zakheim, Bernard Baruch, b. 1896 d. 1985
Active in Calif.; N.Y.
Collection size: 2.0 linear ft. (on 2 microfilm reels)
Collection Summary: Resumes, lists of works exhibited and commissioned, and a copy of an award; addresses; correspondence primarily concerning his murals and his struggles to have them found or restored, including letters from John Dormer Smith's files, (Zakheim's biographer); notes and writings by Zakheim and others including a 113 page biography by the Federal Art Project, 1937; a sketchbook/journal; financial material, ca.1952-1966; exhibition announcements and catalogs; clippings and other printed materials regarding Zakheim, his political interests, and the local San Francisco community; photographs of Zakheim, his friends, and his works of art;
and 13 scrapbooks containing drafts of letters and the responses and printed material concerning Zakheim's work and his efforts to recover his murals.
Biographical/Historical Note: Mural painter, sculptor; California.
Donated 1976 by Bernard Zakheim.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 3988-3989 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Bernard B. Zakheim, 1964
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Zakheim, Bernard Baruch