Shahn, Ben, b. 1898 d. 1969
Painter, Photographer, Printmaker, Illustrator
Active in N.Y.; N.J.
Collection size: 1 item
Collection Summary: A letter, October 4, 1958, from Edith Halpert, to the Archives of American Art New York Archivist, signed "Miss Smith". Halpert describes her general impressions of Shahn and writes that he was in "this moring when he brought in some new silkscreens". She also writes about Shahn asking her if she has seen the sets he did for a ballet in Spoleto.
Biographical/Historical Note: Ben Shahn (1898-1969) was a painter, printmaker, and photographer from Roosevelt, N.J.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel D10 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Ben Shahn interview, 1965 Jan. 17
- Ben Shahn papers, 1879-1990, bulk 1933-1970
- Oral history interview with Ben Shahn, 1964 April 14
- Oral history interview with Ben Shahn, 1965 October 3
- Oral history interview with Ben Shahn, 1968 September 27
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Shahn, Ben