Cunningham, Ben, b. 1904 d. 1975
Active in New York, N.Y.; Calif.
Collection size: 3.0 linear ft. (on a partial microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Biographical material, photographs, art works, correspondence, printed material, audio tapes, and notes.
REEL 663: Detailed personal and career resume; notes taken by Cunningham's wife of his comments on color, the teaching of design, the artist in his time and the like; photographs and color slides of Cunningham's work; and exhibition catalogs.
UNMICROFILMED: Color slides of work, black and white and color photographs of art works and personal pictures of Cunningham and family; art works, including constructed transparencies in slide cases, greeting cards by Cunningham and friends, 2 sketches and sketched notes; letters from artist Hilare Hiler, studio correspondence and personal correspondence, 1968-1940; and correspondence of his widow, Patsy Cunningham, after Cunningham's husband's death. Three audio tapes of interviews of Cunningham.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter; New York, N.Y.
Donated 1972-1989 by the estate of Patsy and Ben Cunningham.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 663 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Ben Cunningham, 1964 Oct. 24
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Cunningham, Ben