Educator, Author, Ceramicist
Collection size: 1.4 linear ft.
Collection Summary: Newspaper clippings, 1940s-1990; 7 press photographs; and slides taken by Wood during her travels to Central Asia and Europe. The clippings are largely from local Ojai and Ventura, Calif. newspapers; some are articles written by Wood that contain excerpts from her journals. Slides include ca. 225 taken in India, mostly of crafts, and 2 binders. One binder, ca. 1961-1977, contains 27 slides of Afghanistan, Nepal,, Germany and other places (although is titled India/Japan/Israel); the second binder is identified as Tanjore, Benares, Orissa and contains 32 slides taken in Indian during Wood's 1972 trip to document the disappearing folk art of India, one of the key sources for her ceramic imagery and overall sensibility.
Biographical/Historical Note: Ceramist; Ojai, Calif.
Donated 2002 by Deborah Barlow Smedstad , on behalf of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art Balch Research Library. The Library received the papers as part of the entire library of the Crafts and Folk Art Museum (CAFAM) Library that was given to LACMA in 1997. CAFAM had received the papers from Wood's assistants ca. 1993 or 1994.
How to Use this Collection
- Unmicrofilmed: CLOSED TO RESEARCHERS FOR COLLECTION DIGITIZATION.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Beatrice Wood collection from the Santa Barbara Museum of Art registrarial files, [ca. 1916]-1967
- Beatrice Wood letter to Anna Bing Arnold, 1973 Apr. 30
- Beatrice Wood papers, 1852-1998
- Oral history interview with Beatrice Wood, 1976 Aug. 26
- Oral history interview with Beatrice Wood, 1992 Mar. 2
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to Wood, Beatrice