Beatrice S. Levy papers, 1890-1974

Levy, Beatrice S. (Beatrice Sophia), b. 1892 d. 1974
Art teacher, Engraver, Etcher
Active in Chicago, Ill.; Calif.

Collection size: 0.2 linear ft. (on 1 microfilm reel)

Collection Summary: Primarily newspaper clippings (1890-1969) about art news and Levy's work in Chicago (1915-1950) and California (1950-1969). Also included are letters (1916-1974), printed material (1918-1961), and biographical material.

Biographical/Historical Note: Etcher, engraver, block printer, drawing specialist, and teacher; Chicago, Ill. and Calif. She studied at the Art Institute of Chicago under Ralph Clarkson and with Charles W. Hawthorne in Provincetown, Massachusetts. She had a studio in Chicago's 57th Street Art Colony. Her work was exhibited at the Panama-Pacific International Exhibition (1915), the Century of Progress in Chicago (1933-1934), and the New York's World's Fair (1939). Levy was President of the Chicago Society of Artists, Supervisor of the Works Progress Administration Art Project Gallery, and Supervisor of the Easel Painting Division in 1936 for the Federal Art Project. In 1950 she moved to California, where she taught at the La Jolla Museum School of Arts and Crafts (1961-1962) and continued to exhibit her work.

These papers were originally part of a larger collection of material given to the University of Louisville (Kentucky) by Samuel Steinfeld, a cousin of Beatrice Levy. The University of Louisville transferred this group of papers to the Art Institute of Chicago, who in turn donated them to the Archives of American Art.

How to Use this Collection

  • Microfilm reel 4190 available at all Archives of American Art offices, at the Chicago Institute's Ryerson Library, and through interlibrary loan.
  • For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.

Also in the Archives