Berman, Avis, b. 1949
Art historian, Author
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 15 items. (on partial microfilm reel)
Collection Summary: Letters to Berman from art historians and critics, and copies of 2 letters sent, in response to her query about what books they find indispensable to their work. Berman used the information in an article in ARTnews (Nov. 1983). Correspondents include John Szarkowski, Milton Brown, John Canaday, Robert Rosenblum, Julius Held, Theodore Reff, Linda Nochlin, Albert Elsen, James R. Mellow, Lewis Mumford, Dore Ashton, John Walker, and Robert Rosenblum.
Donated by Avis Berman, 1983.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 4909 (fr. 756-779) available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Avis Berman research material on Adelyn Breeskin, 1976-1977
- Avis Berman research material on Katharine Kuh, 1939-2006