Sabol, Audrey, b. 1922
Curator, Arts administrator
Active in Philadelphia, Pa.
Collection size: 0.8 linear feet
Collection Summary: Correspondence and exhibition files documenting Audrey Sabol's involvement with the Arts Council of the Young Men's/Women's Hebrew Association of Philadelphia during the 1960s.
Exhibition files for Pop Art, contemporary sculpure, and artist-designed products include: "Art 1963/A New Vocabulary" (November 1962); "Dial Y for Sculpture" (October 1964); "How the West Has Done" (March 1966); and "Museum of Merchandise" (May 1967). The files contain correspondence, financial records, photographs, clippings, catalogs, announcements and other printed miscellany. The file for "Dial Y for Sculpture" includes untranscribed cassette tapes and CDs of artists describing their work and tapes of the Steve Reich composition "Buy Art, Buy Art"
Correspondence consists primarily of letters received from Mark di Suvero (1964-1965), whom Sabol became acquainted with during planning of "Dial Y for Sculpture," describing works in progress, materials, tools, personal impressions, and physical difficulties in working after his accident. Two letters contain sketches of his sculpture as well as sketches illustrating dismantling instructions for AMERIGO V. A few miscellaneous letters from Thomas Hess to Holmes Perkins and from Holmes Perkins, Nicholas Calas, and Dieter Rot to Sabol are included.
Biographical/Historical Note: Audrey Sabol (1922- ) is a curator in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Partner with Joan Kron in the Beautiful Bag Co.
Donated 1986 by Audrey Sabol.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 4224 available at Archives of American Art offices, the Free Library of Philadelphia, and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Audrey Sabol, 1987 June 10
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Sabol, Audrey