McMahon, Audrey, b. 1890 d. 1981
Active in New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 0.4 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The scattered papers of Audrey McMahon include correspondence, writings, notes and research files, and printed material assembled mainly during the late 1960s while assisting Francis V. O'Connor to complete Federal Support for the Visual Arts: The New Deal and Now (1969) and The New Deal Art Projects: An Anthology of Memoirs (1970), and, to a lesser degree, relating to McMahon's activities as Regional Director of the WPA Federal Art Project for New York and New Jersey. Included are photocopies of original correspondence (1935-1941) between McMahon and Holger Cahill and Brehon Somervell, held by the National Archives.
Biographical/Historical Note: Audrey McMahon served under Holger Cahill as Regional Director for the WPA Federal Art Project for New York and New Jersey from 1935 to 1939. She died at age 87 in 1981.
Donated 1997 by Geraldine Rhoads, executrix of McMahon's estate.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Audrey McMahon, 1964 Nov. 18
- Image Gallery items from other collections related to McMahon, Audrey