Arnold Herstand & Company,
est. 1983 - 1992
New York, N.Y.
Collection size: 3.8 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The Arnold Herstand & Co. records and Arnold Herstand papers measure 3.8 linear feet and date from 1927-1995. The papers document Herstand's career as a university administrator, art dealer, and artist. The collection consists of biographical material; personal and professional correspondence; artist files of the Arnold Herstand & Co. gallery; lectures and writings by Herstand; artwork by Arnold Herstand and other artists; photographs of Herstand, friends, family, and Herstand's artwork; and printed material relating to the Arnold Herstand & Co. gallery and Herstand's artistic career. Also included are video recordings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Arnold Herstand (1925-1989) was a painter, educator, administrator, and art dealer, who opened Arnold Herstand & Company in 1983 in New York City. The gallery closed in 1992. Prior to his career as a dealer, Herstand studied art in Paris after serving in WWII, taught at Colgate University and the City College of New York, was director of the Minneapolis School of Art, 1963-1968, and president of the San Francisco Art Institute, 1974-1976.
Nancy McDermott Herstand, the widow of Arnold Herstand, donated the gallery records of Arnold Herstand & Co. in 1995, and then donated Arnold Herstand's personal papers in 1997.