Motley, Archibald John, b. 1891 d. 1981
Active in Chicago, Ill.
Collection size: 71 items (on partial microfilm reel).
Collection Summary: Motley's application for a John S. Guggenheim fellowship and accompanying correspondence and biographical material, 1928-1930; an 8-page writing, "How I Solve My Painting Problems"; correspondence, 1927-1977, with galleries, museums, and others; exhibition catalogs, 1927-1933; and clippings, 1925-1977. Also included are 3 photographs of Motley's paintings.
Biographical/Historical Note: Painter; Chicago, Ill. Born in New Orleans, La.
Donated 1978 by Archie Motley.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reel 3161 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Archibald Motley, 1978 Jan. 23-1979 Mar. 1
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Motley, Archibald John