Refregier, Anton, b. 1905 d. 1979
Painter, Muralist, Sculptor, Printmaker, Designer
Active in Woodstock, N.Y.; Calif.
35.2 linear feet.
3 rolled documents
Collection Summary: The papers of Woodstock area painter, muralist, and designer, Anton Refregier (1905-1979) date from circa 1900 to circa 1990 and measure 35.3 linear feet. The collection records Refregier's early commercial work and murals for the Works Progress Adminstration (WPA) and documents his career through to the 1970s with records of commissions for many public and private buildings, exhibitions in the United States and abroad, teaching positions, essays and publications, and extensive travel, particularly to the Soviet Union and Mexico. The collection contains scattered biographical material, personal and business correspondence, notes and writings, diaries and journals, mural and tapestry files, exhibition files, personal business records, printed material, scrapbooks, artwork including sketches and cartoons for murals, and photographs of Refregier, his friends, family and travels.
Biographical/Historical Note: Russian-born Woodstock painter Anton Refregier (1905-1979) immigrated to the United States in 1920.
Donated 1983 by Lila Refregier, widow of Anton Refregier, and in 1992 by Bridget R. Sutton, Refregier's daughter.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this collection
- Authorization to quote or reproduce for purposes of publication must be obtained from: Bridget R. Sutton, 1719 Glasco Turnpike, Woodstock, NY 12498 via Bridget's son, Tim Sutton, tel. 845-594-3534; email@example.com
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Oral history interview with Anton Refregier, 1964 Nov. 5
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Refregier, Anton