Alan Gallery (New York, N.Y.),
New York, N.Y.
15.0 linear feet
Motion picture film 1 film reel (400 ft.) : sd., b&w ; 16 mm.
Reference copy: 1 videocassette (VHS) (12 min.) : sd., b&w ; 1/2 in.
Collection Summary: Correspondence with artists; general business correspondence, 1953-1969; legal documents (some pertaining to owner Charles Alan's separation from the Downtown Gallery and establishment of the Alan Gallery); business records, including price lists, inventories, loan agreements, purchase and consignment records, receipts for purchases, and general ledgers; a card file of gallery stock; two card files recording purchases; two scrapbooks of printed materials on gallery exhibitions; paid bills, statements, tax and insurance records; and photographs (reel 1400) of Landau-Alan Gallery stock, and of Alan Gallery artists.
Correspondents include: Paul Adkins, Oliver Andrews, Richard Boyce, William Brice, Paul Burlin, Carroll Cloar, George M. Cohen, Bruce Conner, Robert Cremean, Robert D'Arista, David Fredenthal, Louis Guglielmi, Richard Hunt, Herbert Katzman, William King, Jonah Kinigstein, Robert Knipschild, John Latham, Jacob Lawrence, Wesley Lea, Julian Levi, Jack Levine, Edmund Lewandowski, Robert Malaval, Marcia Marcus, Walter Meigs, Edward Millman, George L.K. Morris, Robert C. Morris, Edward Moses, Gastone Novelli, Yutaka Ohashi, Nathan Oliveira, Charles Oscar, Eileen Pendergast, Robert Preusser, Easton Pribble, Mitchell Siporin, Jack Squier, Reuben Tam, John Thomas, Robert S. Titus, Bryan Wilson, and Karl Zerbe.
Included in the collection are photographs of the following artists/and or works of art: Paul Adkins, Aubrey Beardsley, Richard Boyce, Robert Cremean, William Dole, Edwin Hewitt Collection, John Denman Collection, Paul Klee, Gustave Klimt, Jack Levine, E. L. T. Mesens, Elie Nadelman, Charles Oscar, Arnaldo Pomodoro, Eileen Prendergast, Joseph Stella, and Clara McDonald Williamson.
1 reel of motion picture film, also available on VHS, includes clips of various film footage, much of it depicting bombs, human daredevil activities, various cultures, circa 1960.
Biographical/Historical Note: The Alan Gallery was established by Charles Alan in 1952. In 1966, Felix Landau purchased the gallery and renamed it the Landau-Alan Gallery. After Alan left in 1969, the name was changed to the Felix Landau Gallery.
Donated 1971 and in 1973 by Charles Alan the founder of the Alan Gallery.
How to Use this Collection
- Microfilm reels 1379-1391 and 1400 available at Archives of American Art offices and through interlibrary loan.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Microfilmed materials must be consulted on microfilm. Contact Reference Services for more information.
Photographic negatives, transparencies of works of art, paid bills, statements, and tax and insurance records are not microfilmed.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.