Reinhardt, Ad, b. 1913 d. 1967
Active in New York, N.Y.
This site provides access to the papers of Ad Reinhardt in the Archives of American Art that were digitized in 2010. The bulk of the papers have been scanned and total 5,160 images.
Funding for the processing and digitization of this collection was provided by the Terra Foundation for American Art.
Collection size: 3.8 linear ft.
Collection Summary: The papers of Ad Reinhardt measure 3.8 linear feet and date from 1927 to 1968. The collection documents Reinhardt's career as an abstract painter, cartoonist, and writer through biographical material, correspondence, writings, printed material, scrapbooks, and artwork.
Biographical/Historical Note: Ad Reinhardt (1913-1967) was a painter from New York, N.Y.
The collection was donated in 1969 by Rita Reinhardt, Ad Reinhardt's widow and most of the donation was microfilmed on reels N69-99 to N69-104. At the same time, Mrs. Reinhardt loaned for microfilming additional notes, writings, correspondence, photographs of art work, and travel logs.
How to Use this Collection
- Read the Finding Aid for this digitized collection
- The bulk of the collection was digitized in 2010 and is available via the Archives of American Art's website.
- Use of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.
- For more information on using the Archives’ resources, see the FAQ or Ask Us.
Also in the Archives
- Ad Reinhardt lecture, 1966 Jan
- Ad Reinhardt letters and art work, 1946-1957
- Oral history interview with Ad Reinhardt, circa 1964
- Painting, 1955 [graphic]/ Ad Reinhardt
- Image and Media Gallery items from other collections related to Reinhardt, Ad
Related MaterialsOriginals of loaned material were returned to Rita Reinhardt after microfilming. Material loaned for microfilming, including additional notes, writings, correspondence, photographs of art work, and travel logs, is available on the microfilm reels N69-99 - N69-103.
Related material found in the Archives includes Ad Reinhardt postcards (to Katherine Scrivener), Ad Reinhardt letters and artwork (loaned material, available on microfilm only), Abe Ajay correspondence with Ad Reinhardt, Marjorie Grimm printed material and letters received from Ad Reinhardt, one photograph of Ad Reinhardt and Colette Roberts by William R. Simmons, and a 1955 painting by Ad Reinhardt.